Tuesday 12 December 2017

Collared Trogon

I was woken from my hammock yesterday, following an exhausting early bird survey, to be told a male Collared Trogon was sitting in a tree a few metres away. I was also handed my camera so managed to get a really good photo.

Collared Trogon (male) - the bird, characteristically, sat quietly on the branch for a few minutes, despite an audience of half-a-dozen people watching and photographing it.
This morning, the birding highlight has to be a pair of Elegant Euphonias which flew in a landed in one of my point count zones. The male, with female perched on the branch below, started a courtship display, hopping back and forth along the branch, dipping as it did so.

Elegant Euphonia (male)
White-throated Mountain Gem - my first male seen.
Speckled Tanager
This lizard was seen the other day, sunning itself on a rock along a river. It wasn't until I reviewed my photos that I realised it had a massive fan/sail on its back!

No comments:

Post a Comment