Wednesday 27 December 2017

Magenta-throated Woodstar

The diversity of birds in Costa Rica is quite astonishing. I've been here for over five weeks now and I am still seeing new species everyday. Yesterday, my first Magenta-throated Woodstar perched up nicely in a hummingbird garden. During my survey over in the Chispa Valley, my first Mourning Warbler skulked about in scrub near the river, and a Yellow-crowned Tyrannulet perched up nicely. Today, a male Indigo Bunting called deep from within cover, before flying over a field into more cover, showing off its royal blue plumage. This is a rare wintering passerine in Costa Rica, with only a hand full of records from the reserve, so I was lucky to see it.

Magenta-throated Woodstar - note the longer tail than the other similar small hummingbirds.
Yellow-crowned Tyrannulet - a charismatic species with a somewhat out of proportion head and beak.
Slaty-capped Flycatcher
Eryphanis aesacus buboculus (male) - a very large butterfly that has a royal blue upper wing.
Rainbow Eucalyptus

No comments:

Post a Comment