Wednesday 13 December 2017

Long-tailed Silky-flycatcher

The birding action started off right away today with a very inquisitive, presumed Common Paraque that flew right up to my feet at 5:15am and proceeded to hop up and down! It was too dark to see any markings.

The two highlights of my walk up the neighbouring Chispa valley was great close views of a male Golden-browed Chlorophonia, and my first views (albeit distant) of a pair of Long-tailed Silky-flycatchers, a species that is endemic to Costa Rica and Panama, and one that was on my most wanted list.

When I got back, a Squirrel Cuckoo was showing really well outside the centre, picking catapillars off a tree and eating them on a rock.

Golden-browed Chlorophonia
Long-tailed Silky-flycatcher - flycatching from a high perch on the opposite side of the valley.
Green Violetear - taking a drink.
Garden Emerald - perhaps the most dazzling emerald green I've ever seen.
View up the Chispa valley
Squirrel Cuckoo - usually this species is hard to photograph, as it hops through trees doing a remarkable impression of a squirrel. I actually dismissed my first sighting of this species as a squirrel!
Humble Anole (Anolis humilis) - a small lizard. Look at its back where you can see it is in the process of shedding its skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment